Welcome to TACONS!
Please come join in on the fish chat.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to TACONS!
Please come join in on the fish chat.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crayfish questions

2 posters

Go down

Crayfish questions Empty Crayfish questions

Post by pterygotus Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:42 pm

Hello...I am new here. Am I posting in the right place?

We have a crayfish that we've had for about 18 months - ever since Aqua Creations went out of business. It has done really well, and has molted a few times. But for the past couple of days he has been acting kind of funny - almost like he is playing dead in odd places in the tank. For example, tonight he was floating lopsidedly at the top of the tank, not even clinging to the sides, for several minutes. This is not his normal molting behaviour. He also seems to be off his food.

We did a bit of water testing and the ammonia is 0.6 and pH 7.6. Do you think the pH is too high?

Signed,
Pterygotus (Terry for short)

pterygotus

Number of posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Crayfish questions Empty Re: Crayfish questions

Post by PaigeH Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:09 pm

I would think that the pH is fine. I would be more concerned about the ammonia. It should be zero. Also, have the nitirites tested. Those are bad too. In the meantime, do a large water change. I'd do 50%. It'll lower the ammonia and any nitrites that might be present.
PaigeH
PaigeH
Mods
Mods

Number of posts : 855

Back to top Go down

Post by pterygotus Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:05 pm

Thank you for this advice. I tested the nitrites and they appear to be zero - ie the test sample remained clear after I added the two reagents and waited for two minutes. I've done the water change and I'll test everything again tomorrow. He is still very subdued - hardly moving at all, and not responding to us in front of the tank.

Terry

pterygotus

Number of posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by PaigeH Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:05 pm

Do keep an eye on the nitrites. As the ammonia levels go down, the nitrites will spike. Google the nitrogen cycle. Good luck!
PaigeH
PaigeH
Mods
Mods

Number of posts : 855

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum