Welcome to TACONS!
Please come join in on the fish chat.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to TACONS!
Please come join in on the fish chat.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome wrightrs!!!

+3
Founder
machzeater
fish'nfry
7 posters

Go down

Welcome wrightrs!!! Empty Welcome wrightrs!!!

Post by fish'nfry Thu May 13, 2010 1:10 pm

Hello wrightrs. Welcome to TACONS!!

Please tell us briefly about yourself and what you are keeping.
If you have any pictures you wish to share with us, feel free to post them anytime.
We always love to see new fishy pictures here.

Enjoy and welcome to the forum. :cheers:
fish'nfry
fish'nfry
Mods
Mods

Number of posts : 5217

http://www.accesswave.ca/~baccro/

Back to top Go down

Welcome wrightrs!!! Empty Re: Welcome wrightrs!!!

Post by machzeater Thu May 13, 2010 5:43 pm

Welcome Aboard
machzeater
machzeater
Mods
Mods

Number of posts : 1367

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Thu May 13, 2010 6:14 pm

Hello and Welcome to TACONS!!

Wayne
Founder
Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 4244

http://www.nsaquariumclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishbait Thu May 13, 2010 9:17 pm

welcome to the forum

Fishbait
Mods
Mods

Number of posts : 3098

Back to top Go down

Post by teekathepony Fri May 14, 2010 7:12 am

Welcome aboard!
teekathepony
teekathepony

Number of posts : 2933

http://amateuraquatics.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by wrightrs Fri May 14, 2010 12:55 pm

THank you for the grand welcomes.

A little bit about myself? Hmmm?

Well, I'm a 42 (my birthday is Monday so lets round it up to 43) year old, Black, gay, single father of 2 children. I describe my kids as coming to me one by works and one by grace . . . one is the child of my former marriage, the other adopted as an infant. Though which is works and which is grace depends on what's going on from week to week!

I'm a social worker by profession. Work for government and soon will leave work to go back to school. YEAH!

So about the fish . . .

I had small 10g fishtanks when I was a kid and about 9 years ago decided it was good to have living things in my space that didn't require alot of care (i.e. dogs or cats) so I started up a small aquarium again. Guppies, loaches, tetras that sort of thing.

I upgraded to a 25g tank a few years ago and have been working hard on figuring out how to keep a healthy tank. Right now I have 2 large pearl guaramis, 4 serpae tetras, a clown loach and a female betta in the 25g tank. I think the tank is at max capacity for now. That tank has typical gravel as a substrate.

About 6 months ago I purchased a male betta and set him up in a luxurious 1g brandy glass-style bowl (I bought it at walmart makes a wonderful fishbowl). I put potting soil in it,covered it with gravel and put in some plants, a java fern, a couple others I don't know the name of, and recently some java moss, duck weed and some other floating plant. Like I said it is luxurious.

I bought the female betta to spawn with this guy and about 3 months ago I had a spawn of about 40 young. The mortality rate over time has been devastating, but I still have about 15 fry living. I'm guessing that's not a bad percentage. I divided the fry between 2 similarly set up brandy bowls with soil and sand as opposed to gravel. And lately I've been separating out the more aggressive fry into their own pint sized jars.

I'm suprised at how the size of the fry vary at this age. I am finding though that as I take the more aggressive fish out of the bowls, the next-most-aggressive-fish seems to take the lion's share of the feed and becomes larger and more aggressive in turn. Strange the life of fish.

My plan for the fish is to put the females in my large tank (I'll need alarger tank soon, I know), and to house as many as the males as I can keep in brandy bowls around the house.

I have an automatic feeder on the large fish tank (a simple clock like affair that feeds twice a day). The bettas I feed manually twice a day (except when I'm away, then i use the dissolving food pellets).
I am thoroughly enjoying the emotional diversion that the fish provide.

I should say that I'm starting to get into plants more and more. I take the excess plants from the brandy bowls as they propogate and place them in the large tank. There was a time I couldn't keep a plant alive in a tank to save my soul, so this is real progress to me and I'm enjoying experimenting.

Cheers and thanks for the grand welcome.

Robert
wrightrs
wrightrs

Number of posts : 16

http://www.robertswright.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Fri May 14, 2010 6:37 pm

Hi Robert!!

Thanks for the intro!!

Please feel free to ask questions if and when to need to, Show off your tanks please by sharing some pics with us!!
Founder
Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 4244

http://www.nsaquariumclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fish'nfry Fri May 14, 2010 7:14 pm

Thanks for the great introduction and congrats on your bettas although only a few survive.

I can't wait to see some pictures when you get some. :D

Thanks.
fish'nfry
fish'nfry
Mods
Mods

Number of posts : 5217

http://www.accesswave.ca/~baccro/

Back to top Go down

Post by mattholmes320 Sat May 15, 2010 4:05 pm

Hello and welcome! Good job with the bettas! I love the way that the bettas breed!
mattholmes320
mattholmes320
Mods
Mods

Number of posts : 532

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum