Welcome to TACONS!
Please come join in on the fish chat.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to TACONS!
Please come join in on the fish chat.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello, please allow me to introduce myself...

+8
Crystalwaters
tns
crazy4bettas
betta lover22
teekathepony
A.J.
Allie
DanD
12 posters

Go down

Hello, please allow me to introduce myself... Empty Hello, please allow me to introduce myself...

Post by DanD Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:16 pm

My name is Dan and my fish keeping experience has been an unfortunate meander leading to where I am now. I've made many mistakes and harmed many fish for which I am now reconciling by providing great care while helping others avoid my mistakes.

Growing up we often had a fish tank in the house although it was rather neglected. Once living on my own I set up a tank, and knowing absolutely nothing, quickly loaded it beyond capacity with a wide assortment of fish... which all promptly died; I had never heard of cycling. I quickly re-stocked, but in moderation, and the fish seemed to do OK but the tank was neglected. My zebra danios soldiered on for a few years but eventually began to pass away from a lack of water changes and regular maintenance.

Then I met a friend who ignited a passion for fish keeping. Unfortunately I still knew very little and my first new batch of fish were poor choices for my 25G tank at the time. After getting home I began to read about these new fish and realized that my tank was too small for most, there were too many, and some needed to be in schools. Thank you Mr. Salesman.

My first step to rectify the problem was a used 55G long set-up, courtesy of Kijiji. Then a battle with internal parasites and the re-homing of certain fish helped correct some of the poorer choices (new owners were aware of the parasite history). I'm now understocked with fish that will grow into the tank, although several will still need bigger homes in the coming years. I've kicked the poor maintenance habit and water changes are regularly done once or twice a week which gets me great water and happy fish.

I strive for a natural look, and my tank features gravel I collected from the shoreline, a 40 inch hollow driftwood log, rocks, and fake plants. Someday I will venture into real plants but given my track record, I am taking things one step at a time. The gang currently consists of 10 black phantom tetras, 2 quickly-growing bala sharks, a chinese algae eater that was brown, then turned gold, and might be changing back to brown again, plus a pleco that's getting quite large and eats from my hand. I keep things simple with just an Aquaclear 110 filter and a Fluval 200W heater. The final touch is the deep blue lighting which is timed to come on a couple hours before and after the main lights to simulate dusk and dawn.

Anyhow I'm looking forward to getting to know everybody here, learning a ton, and hopefully meeting some of you in person.

Dan

DanD

Number of posts : 12

Back to top Go down

Hello, please allow me to introduce myself... Empty Re: Hello, please allow me to introduce myself...

Post by Allie Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:23 pm

Hi Dan and welcome. This place is a great place to help learn from other fish keepers. Chat with people who have the obsession or the fish keeping addiction bug, known as MTS (multiple tank syndrome) wink LOL!
We all start out somewhere and learn the hard way.
My big learning lesson of all is to have an extra tank to quarantine new fish for a least a month before adding them to the tank you want them to live in.
Oh and not all cichlids go together for one reason or another...learned that the hard way too.
I hope you enjoy it here. Don't hesitate to ask questions, someone around here will most likely be able to help you out. :)
Allie
Allie

Number of posts : 6392

http://www.maryjanevapes.ca/en/

Back to top Go down

Hello, please allow me to introduce myself... Empty Re: Hello, please allow me to introduce myself...

Post by A.J. Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:27 pm

Nice to meet you!
You tank sounds verry interesting! I cant wait till you start posting pictures.

A.J.

Number of posts : 152

Back to top Go down

Post by teekathepony Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:36 pm

Good to "meet" you, Dan! I'm sure everyone learns something the hard way. I had fish for about 14 years before I started learning a bit about them! I hope you enjoy your time with us.

ps... we love seeing pictures!
teekathepony
teekathepony

Number of posts : 2933

http://amateuraquatics.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by betta lover22 Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:02 pm

Hi! TACONS is a great place to chat with others in your area who share the same passion for fish keeping! Also a great place to ask questions- if you have some- go ahead and ask them! There might be someone else wondering the same thing! :)

Oh, and welcome to TACONS!!
betta lover22
betta lover22

Number of posts : 2458

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy4bettas Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:05 pm

Welcome to the club Dan! There's lots of great stuff here, and great folks. We also seem to have some great "friendly banter" on the board :lol: I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself here. Sounds like you have a great tank there :)
crazy4bettas
crazy4bettas
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3051

http://www.crazy4bettas.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by tns Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:06 pm

Welcome, Dan. Bet you you will find TACONS not only useful, informative and fun and full of people with MTS (as Allie - JessiesFish said)
tns
tns

Number of posts : 114

Back to top Go down

Post by Crystalwaters Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:24 pm

Looking forward to seeing some pictures!

Everyone at TACONS is kind and helpful. Even when I ask a newbie question hehe.
I think you should try plants. You might surprise yourself! There is a wealth of information on this site about plant keeping.

Happy reading and welcome :)

Crystalwaters

Number of posts : 2613

Back to top Go down

Post by fish lady Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:31 pm

hello dan glad you joined up all of us will help in any way we can
cant wait to see pics of you tank smile and beer
fish lady
fish lady

Number of posts : 2565

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishbait Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:23 pm

Sounds like an interesting setup can't wait to see a few pics. Welcome and we hope you enjoy the site as much as we all do. :)

Fishbait
Mods
Mods

Number of posts : 3098

Back to top Go down

Post by fish'nfry Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:42 am

Welcome aboard, Dan!
We all started and made mistakes along the way.
With the technology these days, it's easier to find/ask for help especially now that you are on the forum.
If you have any questions even doubts, don't hesitate to ask on here. We are always here for you (might not be me but some people here :D)..

Also, we are having Friday Chat Nights here from 8-10pm so feel free to stop by in the Chat Room.
Hope to see you there.

fish'nfry
fish'nfry
Mods
Mods

Number of posts : 5217

http://www.accesswave.ca/~baccro/

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:37 am

Hi Dan!!

Welcome to TACONS!!!
Founder
Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 4244

http://www.nsaquariumclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum