Welcome to TACONS!
Please come join in on the fish chat.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to TACONS!
Please come join in on the fish chat.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mulm?

+6
H2ohNo
Founder
crazy4bettas
fish'nfry
Kribby
Fizzle
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

mulm? Empty mulm?

Post by Fizzle Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:23 am

Was wondering if anyone in the Sackville area might have some floss or a sponge i could use to cycle a 5gal im going to use as a quarantine tank?(and primary till i get my stand build for my 42).
Will replace sponge (or floss if you tell me where to buy some lol) if needed.

Fizzle

Number of posts : 157

Back to top Go down

mulm? Empty Re: mulm?

Post by Kribby Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:34 am

You shouldn't have a problem getting any sponges, I know we have a few members in the sackville area. If needed I can always pop out there with a sponge, I certainly have enough of them floating around! lol
Kribby
Kribby

Number of posts : 2781

Back to top Go down

Post by Fizzle Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:46 am

I wouldnt want you to come all the way out here from hali just to drop off a sponge for me. Someone will chime in sometime. Im not really in a big rush.
But thank you for the offer :)

Fizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Kribby Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:58 am

lol... it isn't that far and it means I can make a trip to the Big Walmart :P
Kribby
Kribby

Back to top Go down

Post by Fizzle Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:01 am

the one in dartmouth crossing is bigger :D

Although i do hate that walmart stopped selling fish, they were great cycle fish, and if you could get them to survive all the sickness they were actually colorful fish.
My goby i had from them did awesome once he recovered from ICH and got into proper brackish water.

Fizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by fish'nfry Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:43 am

Kribby wrote:lol... it isn't that far and it means I can make a trip to the Big Walmart :P

Always great to stop by some (fishy) place along the way, a really good excuse. :lol!:
fish'nfry
fish'nfry
Mods
Mods

Number of posts : 5217

http://www.accesswave.ca/~baccro/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kribby Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:09 am

I do remember buying some bettas from walmart before, but I never really got anything else from them. I think they had trouble keeping the fish alive and healthy sad
Kribby
Kribby

Back to top Go down

Post by Fizzle Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:27 am

they ran a central filtration system, and thought that if they quarantined one tank the others will be fine to sell :S

Fizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Kribby Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:31 am

O_o; well... that would do it.
Kribby
Kribby

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy4bettas Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:01 pm

I got lots of otos from Walmart before they stopped selling fish. At $1.99 per oto, even if you lost 50% of them in the QT tank it was worth it... most places were selling them for $10-$15 each and you still lost alot of them. I still have at least 6 of them in there :)

Unfortunately Darkbane, I live even farther away than Kribby, but I've always got lots of mulm around :|
crazy4bettas
crazy4bettas
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3051

http://www.crazy4bettas.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:19 am

I also have lots, but I'm in Shubenacadie

Last edited by Founder on Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Founder
Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 4244

http://www.nsaquariumclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by H2ohNo Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:19 am

Sorry for the noob question, but what does "Mulm" mean? My wife just got into the hobby a month ago and i am trying to learn as much as possible about everything so i can help her out.
H2ohNo
H2ohNo

Number of posts : 3168

https://www.youtube.com/user/mediabandit

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:45 am

H2ohNo wrote:Sorry for the noob question, but what does "Mulm" mean? My wife just got into the hobby a month ago and i am trying to learn as much as possible about everything so i can help her out.

There are no questions that we feel are stupid or noobish

:D

Here it is

Mulm is the undercomposed fish wastes and other solid matter that accumulates in the aquarium as a fine, brownish, fluffy material requiring periodic removal by siphoning, When you rinse your sponge, the brown stuff is yummy!!
Founder
Founder
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by H2ohNo Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:34 am

Ok, i understand now, thanks for the info.
H2ohNo
H2ohNo

Number of posts : 3168

https://www.youtube.com/user/mediabandit

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:28 am

Your very welcome!!!
Founder
Founder
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BC Rainbow Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:25 am

if you go to moncton and check out serge at getfish aquariums i am pretty sure that he will give you some. and ive heard that filter floss is just the polyester filling that you would find in your pillow. :). I live in the bouctoche nb area and i could possibly let a sponge go for something like 2 bucks. i will just take my sponge out of my AC70 filter and say here you go. if more is needed i can squeeze out my sponge filters in to a bucket and give you that also. just pm me if your interested
BC Rainbow
BC Rainbow

Number of posts : 85

Back to top Go down

Post by Fizzle Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:48 pm

Well im gonna be looking for some mulm this week... Just filled the 42 up and added the substrate. The hood will be done by next weekend and the stand will be fully finished sometime in the future(i got to anxious and wanted this tank up and going asap).
Exscuse the mess was just finishing moving my room around to make room for this tank..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Fizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:07 pm

I'm sure there will be no problem there, let us know when you are ready
Founder
Founder
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Fizzle Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:11 pm

I can probably add mulm to the filter anytime now, as i want a good week or so of cycle before adding any fish. I also have to pick up more water conditioner since i ran out about half way into filling up the tank lol.. But that just means a trip to PU or walmart tomorrow heh..

Fizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by blue lagoon Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:59 am

Darkebane wrote:I can probably add mulm to the filter anytime now, as i want a good week or so of cycle before adding any fish. I also have to pick up more water conditioner since i ran out about half way into filling up the tank lol.. But that just means a trip to PU or walmart tomorrow heh..
If your going to have no fish in the tank yet.It's not a good idea to put mulm in the tank and let it go without livestock.The mulm will die off.Also if you're going to let your water set in the tank for a week before adding fish,you may not need water conditioner.The chlorine should air off within 24 hours.
blue lagoon
blue lagoon

Number of posts : 825

Back to top Go down

Post by fish'nfry Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:30 am

We all have different ways to cycle our tanks.
When I set-up a new tank, I rinse an old sponge in the new set-up (yes it'll dirty the new water) and also add some mulm to the filter, I let it run overnight to let the water clear up then add 1 fish (guppy) the next day feeding sparingly. I do daily monitor on water parameters esp ammonia and if everything is OK after a couple days add another fish or 2 still closely monitoring the water. For a week I monitor the water daily then after a week the water is monitored every other day, then the week after is once a week and so on. I've never have any problems.
fish'nfry
fish'nfry
Mods
Mods

Number of posts : 5217

http://www.accesswave.ca/~baccro/

Back to top Go down

Post by Fizzle Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:39 am

I cycled my 55gal without fish for the first week, all i did was seeded the filter and squeezed someones filter out into my tank. Then added some flake food to the tank over the next couple of days.. Tank actually cycled up quickly all paramaters were perfectly fine for fish after ~2-3days..
Did the same with my 33, and my buddies 120,90,66,30 breeder..

Fizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug_S2K Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:17 am

I just cleaned my filter out yesterday during a water change and could have gave ya some mulm if I had seen this post earlier. I do have biomax with plenty of beneficial bacteria if u wanted to swap some of that. Ive got some AC70 biomax bags in my XP3 specifially for the purpose of setting up new tanks. If ya bring me a new bag of AC70 biomax, I can swap ya for some that is well established.

Just an option for ya.
Doug_S2K
Doug_S2K

Number of posts : 35

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:36 am

I also do the same as Fish'nfry for years now with no problems, but we all have our own ways that work for you!!
Founder
Founder
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by A.J. Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:56 am

Ive always got a mulmy sponge in a tank somewhere if someone ever needs one.
I always keep extras on hand, just incase I need to set up a new tank in a hurry.

A.J.

Number of posts : 152

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum